Saturday, March 19, 2011

Robert Ghanim: the incompetence of Jeffrey Feltman

I have mentioned yesterday how naive and ill-informed about Lebanon and the Arab world, Jeffrey Feltman appears in those Wikileaks being released by Al-Akhbar in association with Wikileaks.  I have mentioned how his interlocutors easily deceive him or sway him.  But there are two other points: 1) the extent to which he is obsessed with gossip and chit-chat in those documents.  I have read various unclassified or declassified US diplomatic documents and I so miss the era of the Orientalists at the Department of State.  They were more interested in providing analysis of the various situation.  Not with this guy, Feltman.  He would have been a really good journalist at the National Inquirer.  2) how ignorant he is:  "Influential parliamentarian Robert Ghanem".  This guy was the chief policy making regarding Lebanon and he characterizes Robert Ghanem as "influential"?  Robert Ghanem?


PS Full disclosure.  As a child in my father's office, I have accepted candy form non-influential Robert Ghanim, just as Goebbels' children accepted candy from "uncle Hitler" (but only half of the analogy applies here).