Sunday, February 06, 2011

Thomas Friedman

Thomas Friedman is too silly to comment on.  I don't want to comment on his silly comment today, but I would like people to go back to archives and find me words of praise that he had written for Mubarak over the years.  Also, what is most annoying about him is this; whenever he goes to developing countries, he always has quotations attributed to "my friend Muhammad" or "my friend Kim" or whatever.  Suspiciously, the quotations from those "friends" seem to always confirm his own thesis about everything and they all speak in shallow English, just like him.  And they all suspiciously sound like one another, as in: "My friend Muhammad in Jordan tells me that government is like Falafil."  In South Korea, the quotation becomes: "My friend Kim in South Korea tells me that government is like Kimchi."  And so on.  Also, if you add the number of "friends" cited by Friedman, they can easily add up to thousands of people dispersed around the world.  A man with thousands of friends is a man with no friends at all.  I don't know why, but I always felt sorry for Friedman's daughters.  I can imagine their agony in long car ride with his annoying laugh and boring stories in the front seat.  I would rather be raised by monkeys that raised by Thomas Friedman--and the monkeys would have better insights on foreign affairs, and they would have more complex ideas in their heads, but that is just me.