Tuesday, February 15, 2011

sexual harassment of female reporters (around the world)

A "reader" sent me this and permitted me to cite: "I thought of your post about the lack of female foreign correspondents in Western media organizations - - when I read this article by Judith Matloff of the Columbia Journalism Review -- about how female foreign correspondents rarely report the sexual abuse they face for fear of losing assignments or permission to visit dangerous areas. While sexism in the industry probably has some role in their silence, there are no easy solutions to the problem and no clear villains except the abusers themselves. A CBS release -- just announced that a crowd in Tahrir Square sexually assaulted CBS correspondent Lara Logan a short time after the announcement of Mubarak's resignation on 11 February. Right now, there is no information about whether the attackers were pro-democracy, pro-Mubarak, or simply opportunists*... I think we have a rare opportunity to raise people's awareness of this problem and bring it out of the shadows, so please bring this to your readers' attention."

* PS Now this is Angry Arab speaking regarding the comment from the reader. I agree and I only want to say that I don't care whether the attackers were pro- or anti-Mubarak.  Sexual attackers and rapists are to be condemned and punished no matter what political ideologies they follow.