Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The New York Times on Lebanon

Yesterday, before I went to bed, I saw the New York Times and read the fair political piece by Anthony Shadid (Shadid, to his credit, has been always fair and wise on Lebanon and was one of the few who did not see the Virgin Mary in the "Cedar Batata Revolution.").  So I thought to myself, I am sure that there will be another piece on the riots by the March 14 thugs all day.  And? Not one piece on that.  Not a single article to cover the violent riots by the March 14 goons in Tripoli and elsewhere which led to the injury of more than 35 Lebanese Army soldiers.  Can you imagine if those were conducted by Hizbullah? The New York Times would have featured them on the front page.   And I hate how the silly political analysis piece today Mark Landler tried to equate the March 14 riots to the demonstrations in Egypt and Tunisia.  People in Tunisia and Egypt are demonstrating to oust tyrants, while the Hariri goons are rioting (or doing paid rioting) in order to restore a sectarian leader to power.  Huge difference.