Saturday, August 21, 2010

The Mosque near Ground Zero

I will appear on Aljazeera Arabic next Tuesday on the From Washington program live from San Francisco (10:00AM Pacific Time).  I am personally against the construction of the mosque (just as I abhor the racist and bigoted reactions against it): but I am against it for a different reason.  It will stand as a symbol to remind Americans and others of the association (in Western minds) between Islam and terrorism.   A gesture intended to appease the mainstream culture received a slap on the face.  Predictable though.  I mean, many in the American associate Sep. 11 with Islam, so this silly project will only serve as a permanent reminder.  Cordoba my potato.  Sects and religions are not coexisting peacefully: neither here nor there in Muslim lands.