Sunday, April 04, 2010

Qatari government and Israel: the love affair

A reader who wishes to remain anonymous sent me this: "This is..... I am back now in Qatar. I noticed your post about Qatar normalization with Israel and wanted to add two things. The first is that I was visiting Jarrir bookstore the other day, which is a Saudi-owned bookstore, and found "A History of Israel: From the Rise of Zionism to our Time" by Howard Sachar (I wanted to ask your opinion about this book, by the way). When I say I found this book, I do not mean that it was tucked somewhere in the back where one has to make an effort to find it, I mean there were huge stacks of it in the very middle of the books section as if they were trying actively to promote it. So I went to the clerk responsible for the English books section and asked him who usually orders the books that are sold here. He answered me saying that it is the management in Saudi that decides what books to sell. I do not know what to make of this. The other thing that I wanted to share with you is this video clip and whether you find it be credible or not. Notice that Livni is the one welcoming the Emir which means that this incident happened sometime ago (I hope that that was before the assault on Gaza)."