Sunday, March 14, 2010

Ahmad Zuwail

I wrote yesterday about Ahmad Zuwail: I don't know much about him but I saw him on Egyptian Dream TV and read an article he wrote. I have been bombarded by people who know better and they pointed out my the error of my ways. He indeed does not deserve my praise from what I saw. One AUB science professor wrote me this (I cite with his/her permission but he/she wants to remain anonymous): "Regarding your parise of Zuwail on your blog. I heard him at AUB a few years ago. Although I agree regarding what you said about the lousy institution that rejected his application: I guess M...was the one who was behind this, and probably other racists at the chemistry dept., but his speech on politics (using the slogan liberty of mind) was so naive and superficial that he was stormed with loud objections in form of questions from the audience. He appeared like the lousy Adil Imam speaking about chemistry! As for his views of the Arab-Israeli conflict, the guy is clear, he is pro-peace a` la oslo for sure, i mean come on how else he was able to get his Noble Prize! I must admit though, that when I was at Stanford, just before Zuwail getting his prize, he was looked down at by many people there, mocking him and the idea that he will get the Nobel prize! To be fair, no matter how many asses you might kiss, holding the Pauling chair at Caltech at an early age, by a dark skinned Egyptian, indicates genius and immensely hard work." Another person wrote me this: "I have been meaning to comment on your content for a long time, but maybe it is finally time. Ahmed Zuweil spoke in the Israeli Knesset, and he justified this on Egyptian tv saying stuff about how science knows no borders and that Einstein was Jewish but he did not prevent Arabs from using his theories (yes the guy does not know the difference between Jewish and Zionist, nor the difference between using a scientific theory and going to talk in their official state institutions). Sorry to disappoint you but the one time you decided to praise you aimed wrong." Also, I received a copy of his article from August 2006 in the Independent, and it is not impressive at all. It has the usual liberal take and accepts the two-state solutions (Bush's vision, really), although he does mention the right of return. OK, people say that I don't praise enough, and I post one praise, and I was bombarded. Have mercy on me.