Saturday, March 13, 2010

Ahmad Zuwail

You think I don't praise? I want to praise this Egyptian recepient of the Nobel prize in Chemistry. I read a recent article he wrote for the International Herald Tribune and watched an interview with him on Dream TV. He is a fascinating and most interesting man. I am so impressed with him. He speaks excellent Arabic and has deep concerns for Arab issues. He courageously praised the Egyptian educational system under Nasser, and spoke about the secular and the gender policies of that era. I don't know where he stands on Arab-Israeli issues but I also liked his speech at AUB a few years ago when he was awarded an honorary PhD: he reminded the lousy institution that he first applied for a job at AUB (and was rejected) before he accepted a job offer at Cal Tech.