Sunday, February 14, 2010

Shi`ite translations of the Qur'an

I ran into professor Hamid Algar at the UC, Berkeley library. So we were talking about translations of the Qur'an. I asked him about translations by Shi`ites. He sent me this per my request (I cite with his permission). "I was intending to send you the details about the Quran' translations done by Shi'is. They are:1) The Holy Quran, trans. Aqa Mirza Mahdi Puya, Peermohamed Ebrahim Trust, Karachi, 1990; this translator was the son of an Iranian scholar who migrated to Karachi during the reign of Reza Shah. 2) The Qur'an, with a Phrase-by-Phrase English translation, trans. 'Ali Quli Qara'i, Islamic College for Advanced Studies, London, 2004. (Excellent) There is also a fifteen volume translation with commentary called An Enlightening Commentary into the Light of the Holy Qu'ran, published in Isfahan; it has been translated from the Persian original into an execrable English."

PS By the way, per the suggestion of Tarif Khalidi, I will post occasional interviews with people. I will start with an interview with Tarif about his translation of the Qur'an and about Islamic studies in general. Hamid Alger agreed to be the subject of the second interview.