Sunday, February 21, 2010

The Egyptian state

I know that you are sleeping but have you been noticing that the Mubarak regime is falling before your eyes? I mean that. How did I think about that? Several indicators. I first watched footage of the trial of the Hizbullah cell in the Egyptian Court of the Security of the State-Emergency (that is the actual name of that Orwellian court--kid you not). And I noticed that in the session yesterday, the lawyers took over the court. (This is like me when I once clashed with a cop in court in Berkeley and the judge accused me of "taking over the court room--but that is another story). I feel that the agencies and apparatuses of government in Egypt are now acting on the assumption that the regime of Mubarak is no more. So I then went to see the Al-Ahbarm newspaper, and I felt the stooges of Mubarak are not even trying to do their job like before in defending the regime. It surprised me that the Al-Ahram had on the first page a headline that a US member of congress called for an end of the siege of Gaza. Husni, Jamal, and `Ala' Mubarak: no one will miss you. Just pack and go away. You have overstayed your welcome by decades of corrupt and oppressive rule.