Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Two Tanslations of George Habash's letter to his wife

First, Saja kindly translated this letter from George Habash to his wife:
" A letter from George Habash to his wife, which he sent from Jarash Heights in Jordan, January 1971
Dearest Umm Maysa[1],
My greetings, yearning and love.
I’ve received your letter. I’d sent you, my dear, a first letter with Widad. I believe you’ve received that. This is the second letter. I’ve been here for only two weeks.
I’ll send you a letter every week as we’d agreed. As you know, I’m very disciplined and obedient in my relationship with you.
Hilda, my longing for you is burning me. Life in the mountains is great. Every iota of my being is dedicated to work and the struggle’s unity. I think about nothing private. Nothing here, except the struggle, has any value. Chicken is the same as dry bread. The palace is the same as the tent. The most beautiful Hamra Street garments are the same as khakis. Bathing once a day is the same as once a month. I swear to you, Hilda, I mean this. I’ve been liberated from everything except for one thing I cannot and will not be free of, and perhaps I do not desire to be liberated, which is you my dear. You’re with me every day. You’re with me every hour. I think about you, your loneliness, your worries, your responsibilities … I think about your hair, your smile, everything about you. I think about your beautiful clothes, your taste, your concern, your kindness, your love, your attachment to me and mine to you, everything about you.
This is the only bond that restrains me now. Truly a painful bond, Hilda. But I love it and want it and almost feel like I surrender to it.
How are you doing my dear? How is Lebanon? I was deeply moved the night you told me Lama thinks about me. I’ve spent many nights thinking about you and Maysa and Lama. I want the girls to love me, Hilda. Please. I have nothing for myself in this world except you and the girls and the few guys who live with me.
When are you joining me in the mountain?? As a revolutionary, not as a visitor of course. You always ask when we’re going to meet. To be honest, I can’t tell you when. I only want you to know, and I’m being serious, that I think about that more than you do.
Thank you and until we meet,
[signature]

[1] Umm Maysa means literally Maysa’s mother, a respectful way of addressing someone in Arab culture.

Secondly, Sarah kindly translated the letter:

"A letter from George Habash to his wife, sent from the heights of Jarash in Jordan, January 1971

Dearest Um Maysa’,

Greetings, my burning longing and love,

I received your letter. I have, my dear love, sent you a first letter with Widad. I think it has reached you. This is the second letter. I have been here for two weeks only; a letter per week according to the agreement. As you know, I am very disciplined and obedient in my relationship with you.

Hilda, longing is eating me away. The life of the mountain is great; everything in me is focused on work and on the battle. I do not think of anything in particular. Everything loses its meaning here except for the issue of the battle. Chicken and bread are the same. The castle and the tent are the same. The most beautiful shirts of al-Hamra Street and the Kaki uniform are the same. A daily shower and a monthly shower are the same. I swear, by your life, that I mean what I am saying. I have been freed of everything, except for one thing, that I could not be freed from, and I will not be able to be free from, and perhaps I do not want to be free from and that is you, my sweetheart.

Every day, you are with me. Every hour, you are with you. I think about you and your loneliness, your concerns and your responsibilities...I think about your hair and your smile and everything about you. I think about your beautiful outfit, your taste, your care, your kindness, your love, your attachment to me, and my attachment to you, (I think) about everything about you,

This is the only chain that shackles me now. It is a painful chain indeed, Hilda, but I love it and I want it and I am almost surrendered to it.

How are you sweathert? How are the girls? You sentence about Lama and how she thinks about me made me very emotional that night. I walked long thinking about you, Maysa' and Lama. I want the girls to love me, Hilda. Please, I do not have anything special for me in this life, apart from you, the girls and some guys who live with me.

When will you join (come to) the mountain? As a revolutionary not as a visitor of course?

You are always asking about our meeting. To be honest with you, right now, I cannot tell you when. I only want you to know, really Hilda, that I think about this more than you do.

Thank you and goodbye (until we meet),"