Thursday, October 15, 2009

Who writes this stuff for the New York Times?

I mean, really. Are there no editors in the Times to notice the stupidity of language used? And notice how the foreign correspondents of the Times always write their dispatches on the assumption that the US is more ideal and more moralistic than all the countries that they are covering. Look at this dispatch by Adam Nossiter: "China has been determined in its pursuit of minerals in Africa, often without consideration of how countries are governed." Was there no editor at the desk to note that this is not different from US policies? Like US ever cares about how oil-rich countries are governed? Let me re-write this sentence for you to see what I mean: The US has been determined in its pursuit of oil in the Middle East, often without consideration of how countries are governed." The only word I would change is often: I would replace it with always.