Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Ilyas Rahbani: "Add bachelor's, master's or doctorate degrees to your resume in just 15 days"

So I read this profile of Ilyas Rahbani in Al-Akhbar. I must confess that I used to like his music when I was growing up: the best of the Franco-Arab genre. But you know how I feel about the Rahbanis (except Ziyad and I am fan of the talented `Asi--not to mention Fayruz who is not a Rahbani). So in the c.v., he lists that he has an "honorary doctorate" from the American Barrington University in Spain. And you know how skeptical I am about all claims made by Lebanese: don't those people know that we live in the age of google? My mother is 80-years old and has been using google to look up French poems that she knew as a student. So I found out that Barrington has changed its name and this is the university from which Rahbani was "awarded" his honorary doctorate. So poor Ilyas Rahbani had to wait for 15 days? "Add bachelor's, master's or doctorate degrees to your resume in just 15 days."