Friday, June 19, 2009

In one day

I never travel to various destinations in one day. I usually stop for a night or two in Europe if I travel to the US. Today, I flew from Oslo to London and then to DC and then to Fort Lauderdale all in the same day. Never again. And Washington, DC is the worst place to make as a point of entry for your travel to the US. So many delays for passport inspection and custom. And worse: they bring these mean and vicious dogs and let them roam around the new arriving passengers. Luckily, I give my passport to the passport agent and (unlike the usual lengthy Q and A that I am subjected to about my childhood experiences and hobbies and travel patterns), the woman reads my name and exclaims excitedly: my boyfriend is Lebanese and also is AbuKhalil. I asked: is he from Tyre too? She said: I don't know. I said: how could you not know? Are you not curious to ask. So I arrive to watch and read American coverage of Iran. Quite pathetic indeed. The tool of Ayatullah Khumayni (Mousavi)--not to be confused with the tool of Khamenei (Ahmadinajad) was identified in the New York Times as "symbol of freedom and democracy." And would you not want to scream and yell when they are telling you that a movement headed by none other than the `Abdul-Halim Khaddam of Iran--the symbol of corruption, nepotism, opportunism, and favorotism--Rafsanajni, is a reform and democracy movement? Of course, some of the students and demonstrators can't be associated with either Mousavi or Rafsanjani and are just taking advantage of the protest room. But don't you want to see demonstrators all over the Middle East and toppling all regimes? What a fantasy. Also, I asked my audience i Oslo yesterday: would Western governments and media be as celebratory and favorable in coverage if people were demonstrating against one of the many pro-Western dictatorships in the region, like Saudi Arabia or Egypt? Just wondering.