Tuesday, February 17, 2009

UK versus the US: on Palestine

I don't know why this picture made me think. This is a British MP sitting with a displaced Palestinian family from Jabalya camp in Gaza. You would never see an American member of Congress in that position. And it just happened that yesterday I watched a session of the British House of Common's committee on foreign relations on C-Span in which the British prime minister was interrogated. I was rather impressed by the extent to which he was grilled about Gaza and about Israeli human rights violations there. Don't get me wrong: British policies don't amount to much and they wound up catering to US diktats but still: at least the members of the House show some intellectual independence. You watch US Congressional hearings, and the word Palestinian is bandied about as if it is some dirty word. (Reuters)