Tuesday, December 23, 2008

My first bookshop

"Emotions ran high on Friday as customers and friends gathered to bid farewell to the Ras Beirut Bookshop on Bliss Street, which closed its doors for the final time last week. The building will be knocked down to make way for a high-rise and as of yet there are no plans to re-open the bookshop elsewhere." This was my first bookshop ever. It was one block from my elementary school, and I used to go there. I bought my first book at that shop, and built my first small library from there. It was frustratingly small in size but it was big in the back. One of the workers there (his name was As`ad) used to let me go to the back to look for books. I liked it better when I was a kid: the size was not as frustrating as it became later when the books could not be fit into the small room.