Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Assassination by poisonous manaqish? I say that in the pro-Israeli community, if people like you they plant trees in your name in Israel and get you Israeli bonds. In the pro-Palestinian community, they feed you if they like you. I was sitting at the hotel in Anaheim on Sunday and this man (who I did not know) came with his cellphone and said somebody wants to say hi to you. The man on the phone said nice things to me and said that he wants to bring me food. Within 20 minutes he brought me boxes of freshly baked manaqish and lahm bi-l-`ajin (or lahmajun as our Armenian brothers and sisters call them). He did not know that I am a vegetarian. So I packed the manaqish and brought them with me. I made the mistake of telling this story to my mother. She kept calling worried: she was afraid that the manaqish contained poison. Well, I survived.