Sunday, August 19, 2007

Eastern Orientalism. It is most dangerous to think of Orientalism as a mere Western phenomenon. To understand Orientalism and its impact, it has to be studied as an Eastern phenomenon too (as when the colonized mimic the colonizers). Here, some Lebanese pay tribute to Ernest Renan. "Ghazir dresse un monument en hommage à Ernest Renan." And I bet you that those who are paying homage to him don't know anything about him, and some do and not care. This is a man who thought that "the Semitic mind" is not capable of philosophy and science (he also thought that the Semitic mind can't even produce poetry--he made a small exception for Hebrew). Even an Orientalist like I. Goldziher criticized the Orientalism of Renan, whose Arabic was so poor that he cited Ibn Rushd's work in Latin in his work on the subject. I will be writing about this outrage in my next article for Akhbar. (thanks I.)