Thursday, July 05, 2007

Yesterday, I spoke at the Women's College at the International Islamic University here in Islamabad. (It is sexist that the male faculty at the university can teach at the women's college, but the female faculty does not have that privilege at the men's college). It was the most interesting event for me: I really enjoyed listening to the students discuss matters important to them. (Although I must confess that I am not used to--not at all--to be asked a question by a woman whose face is totally covered. I never had that experience in my life before, and found myself looking at her trying to locate the eyes for contact while answering her). All those who view Muslim women as passive and weak should have been there. They would have been disabused of some of their misconceptions. One student expressed her frustrations to me: she said that young people in Pakistan seem to be either blind imitators of the superficial elements of the cultures of the West or the militants who are categorical opponents of all things Western. She was arguing for a third way. I asked the audience how many of them use the internet: it was more than 70% but much less than students in the US. I asked how many of them use email on daily basis, and it was less than 20%. But universities here do provide computer labs although the connections are not what they are in US. (At one point, I saw a woman in the audience react to something. I could only think of one thing: the lizards have followed me here).