Friday, June 08, 2007

"Your Honor, I write about Scooter Libby from my vantage point as a scholar ofMiddle Eastern affairs, Arab political culture, and American foreign policy. I have been teaching and writing for well over three decades, first at Princeton, and since 1980 at Johns Hopkins University. In 2006, I had the high honor ofreceiving the National Medal of the Humanities, way beyond all the dreams I brought with me to this country from my ancestral land of Lebanon. Scooter Libby is one of the most honorable people I have known in public life. It was my privilege to come to know this distinguished public servant in the aftermath of 9/11. Modest, driven by a relentless work ethic, patriotic and concerned about the interests and safety of our country, Scooter Libby never put on airs, or took his high position in government for granted. For Mr. Libby the work and the public service always came first. Possessed of a keen mind, of a deep curiosity about distant peoples and lands, Scooter Libby's interests in Islam and Islamic radicalism brought us together. No facet ofArab politics escaped his attention."