Saturday, June 02, 2007

Why did Ghassan Bin Jiddu interview Ghassan Tuwayni on the anniversary of the June '67 war on his program Hiwar Maftuh? What does Tuwayni have to offer--on anything? And Tuwayni (in addition to tons of nonsense) said that Constantine Zuraqy coined the term "naksah" (setback) for the '67 war. My understanding is that Muhsin Ibrahim (who was valued by the Nasserist regime for his great propaganda skills) was the one who coined it, and the Nasserist regime ran with it. Ibrahim wrote a series of articles in the wake of the defeat in Al-Hurriyah (the mouthpiece of the Movement of Arab Nationalists) to the effect that Nasser "was not defeated."
PS And Tuwayni is like a kid; he can't stay focused. And for years, he used to insist that my late father was his student at the American University of Beirut. To no avail, I would try to convince him that my father never attended the American University of Beirut, and that he went to Cairo University in the 1940s. (After this article came out--in which I discuss An-Nahar and the poetry of Nadya Tuwayni, I ran into him at a talk by Hisham Sharabi in Beirut. He looked like he wanted to...hit me.)