Sunday, February 04, 2007

I have posted before about the Lebanese genius who "invented a cure for cancer." You and I may not have heard of this scientific breakthrough but it is all over Lebanese media, thanks to a front-page story in An-Nahar (the right-wing, sectarian Christian, anti-Palestinian (people), anti-Syrian (people) newspaper in Lebanon. Al-Arabiya TV did a story on him yesterday: and about how he registered his "invention" of a cure for cancer. They interviewed a French professor who spoke about Obeid's Professor, but they did not translate what he said in French. You see: this "invention" was all his. Al-Arabiya even sent a TV crew to his village in North Lebanon. His brother--I kid you not--was talking about how he exhibited early signs of genius. As evidence: he said that he watched TV (and discovery channel sometimes) at an early age--TEN. So if you have children who are watching TV now, you know that you have geniuses under your roof. His father admitted that his son was not accepted at the medical school at the Lebanese University--but then again, Lebanon does not recognize its geniuses. Just today, LBC-TV covered another genius: a certain Tanyus something who is so brilliant in geography--according to the report--that he turned down an offer to teach at "the University of California" because he loves Lebanon. At that point, I could only boo hoo hoo. But you know what: these accidental discoveries of cures of diseases and illnesses do happen. The other day, I was making some hummus in anticipation of Lebanon's independence day next November. And by mistake, I dropped some soy milk into the hummus. Little did I know that I have invented a cure for the common cold. So when you get a cold now, just rub some of the Hummus on your noses, and you will be cured instantly. Tomorrow, Al-Arabiya will send a TV crew to my family's house in Lebanon. I am sure that family members will tell them how I was able to eat a banana by myself at age 11. If that is not a sign of genius, I don't know what is.