Thursday, November 09, 2006

So I was returning from Virginia yesterday. As soon as I went through the security checkpoint at Newport News airport (near Williamsburg), I was informed by a security official that I was "selected" for special screening and search. I told the fellow that he announced it with enthusiasm as if it was a special privilege or honor; as if I had won a blender, I told him. (He laughed). While they were searching me and searching my luggage, I asked him to explain to me the criteria by which individuals are chosen. I always ask that question because I often receive different answers. I was told by the two individuals there that the selection is done by the airline. I asked whether they select on the basis of ethnic backgrounds, hair types, or vowels in family names. I was told that they can't answer me. I asked whether they single out "certain people from certain backgrounds." I was told that they can't answer me. I left having learned what I knew not before about Western standards of random selections.