Friday, September 08, 2006

I am puzzled by the Lebanon branch of Hizb At-Tahrir. In the wake of Hariri's assassination, the party was legalized by Hariri Inc, and its supporters--long suppressed by Syrian intelligence--started taking to the streets. A year go, they demonstrated in support of Bin Laden and Zarqawi. And then something happened. The party switched and reached out to Shi`ites, and added Shi`ites to its leadership, and they no more expressed support for Bin Ladenites. When I was walking to an event in Beirut in June, this man approached me, and said that he was looking for me. He introduced himself (and presented his business card) as the Information Director of Hizb At-Tahrir. He wanted to meet with me but I said that I was busy. This article talks about them. They fault Hizbullah for dropping the demand for an Islamic Republic in Lebanon.