Tuesday, August 08, 2006

If you want a fine book on South Lebanon, I can't think of any one source better than Mundhir Mahmud Jabir, Ash-Sharit Al-Lubnani Al-Muhtall (published by Institute for Palestine Studies). The encyclopedic book did not get any attention, not even in Arabic publications, perhaps because it is in 889 pages. I wrote a review essay about it in an issue of Journal of Palestine Studies (a few years ago, it is available on line I think). The book has all the information that you need on South Lebanon, and what Israel has done to it and its people over the years and decades. (There have been books that I want to talk about recently but have not had a chance. Remind me to tell you about the fascinating memoirs of Anis Sayigh: so much about the machinations of Yasir `Arafat).