Thursday, July 06, 2006

Yesterday, I gave my talk at Masrah Al-Madinah. Suha Bisharah (who shot Antoine Lahd--the head torturer of the Israeli surrogate army in South Lebanon during the long and brutal occupation years) was in the audience. Three different people with close ties to the Syrian regime asked me during my stay here to give a talk at Al-Asad Library in Damascus. I said no, three times. I told one person who asked me that I will likely call for the overthrow of the Syrian regime if I have the chance to speak in Damascus. A regime that can't tolerate Michel Kilu should not tolerate me. Yesterday, Carole Mansour, the director of the documentary Maid in Lebanon (about Sri Lankan maids in Lebanon) invited me to watch the documentary. She put me in a dark room by myself to watch. It was powerful. I shall write a longer review upon my return. I strongly urged her to expand the documentary, and she shot more footage, both in Sri Lanka and in Lebanon. No public expressions of solidarity with the Palestinians as of yet here. Is the Arab public numb? Arab governments don't even pay lip service anymore. Nasser, who used to scare them, is long dead. And the few officials who issue those silly token statements make sure to avoid criticizing the US. And Dahlan and Abu Mazen--the executioners of Israeli occupation--remain in power. Hamas is still busy saluting "the brother-president, Abu Mazen." I can imagine Hamas officials still saluting the "brother president" while being taken to the gallows. I will be writing more upon my return to US next Monday. And the secretary-general of the Arab League, `Amr Musa, would be a good director of the Israeli mission at the UN, if only he continues doing what he does now: which is nothing. Absolutely nothing, unless you count taking marching orders of dictator Mubarak as something. I heard more stories about the connections between Hariri Inc and Bin Ladenites in Lebanon: it is still common to find in people's houses in North and Biqa` pictures of Zarqawi and of Hariri side by side. So many things have happened in the last two days here in Lebanon: the clash in Jahiliyyah, the clash in Sidon, and other "little" incidents that the press either don't bother to report, or are not permitted to report. I will write about that later too. Yesterday, I received my first invitation ever from an organization in "East Beirut" but alas could not accept due to time constraints. People in Burj Al-Barajnah refugee camp told me that there is a new phenomenon: people go to sleep very early in the camp now. By 10:00PM, all is quiet. The reason: people wake up very eary in the morning to start searching for jobs. And did you hear the statement by the new tool of US occupation in Iraq? The new prime-minister-under-foreign-occupation said that he wants more occupation troops in his country, and he said that he would like some fries with that. There is more Western outrage over the North Korean "testing" of missiles than there is over the actual use of missiles by Israel against a civilian population.