Wednesday, July 26, 2006

I received this letter (modesty and privacy required that some sentences be deleted)--I obtained permission of author:
"Professor AbuKhalil,
I am an avid reader of your blog and admirer....
I read your recent blog entry of a letter from a member of the US armed forces. I am in pretty much in the same boat except for the fact that I am also Arab and Palestinian in origin. I am very much a believer in the American principles of equality, freedom and justice...unfortunately the reality of US foreign policy is sometimes far from it in application especially when it comes to the Arab-Israeli conflict. One of the reasons I became an officer in the military is the hope that rising to a position of influence might someday help me cause a positive influence in the American people's mentality (specifically in the military) towards the conflict. You often hear complaints from the Arabs and Muslims that the Israelis have a considerable influence on the trajectory of US foreign policy due to the infamous "Israeli lobby" and the penetration of influential Israeli supporters into the American political, social and military establishment. The argument in my opinion goes "Why can't the Arabs do the same?"
There are times when I feel that just by talking to my coworkers I am making a difference, and that my position in the military lends some credibility to what I say. There are other times when I feel that is a hopeless case and that what is going on is inevitable. The recent turn of events in Lebanon and Palestine has engulfed me in a feeling of utter dismay and dissappointment at my government...and that what is going on is far greater than what I could fix with my humble capabilities. I am also approaching a milestone in my career which gives me the opportunity to leave if I choose to. I would be extremely appreciative if you could offer your opinion on this.
Thank you for your time.
Best Regards,
R."