Saturday, May 20, 2006

Art in the service of Western stereotypes. This Impossible Dream painting is by Laila Shawa (thanks to Layla A. for sending me the site). I like the colors and humorous attempt in the painting, but the idea is just plane ridiculous. It is intended for Western buyers, I have no doubt, and this painting is probably hanging on the wall of the living room of Charles Krauthhammer or Christopher Hitchens. What is she trying to say? Is she trying to say that veiled women can't eat ice-cream? Or that they don't eat ice-cream? This is like me drawing a painting of Western women in high heels, and showing them trying to do some difficult dance moves. Would that be an "impossible dream" too? Ms. Shawa. Let me surprise you. Veiled women can and do eat ice-cream, and some of them also eat French fries. OK? Thanks for the humorous attempt though. What is next? Veiled women trying to...sleep to no avail?