Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Learn about US from An-Nahar Newspaper. Free. Nabil Bu Munsif Explains US to Lebanese. Sometimes I envy all those of you who don't read Arabic. Do you know the poison that I consume when I read my daily supply of Saudi-funded and Lebanese newspapers? Take this from An-Nahar. Their Lebanese editor just came back from the US as part of a team of foreign journalists "trained" by the US government. How nice, but somebody has to pay the bills for An-Nahar's new headquarters in downtown Beirut. He says: "The first thing that strikes the Lebanese visitor and makes him "proud" is that his small homeland is almost the only one from all the Arab countries that knew how to impose for itself a distinctive place in the minds of the world and the American people in the last two years." Oh, how true. I get asked for recipes of Hummus even when I walk down the street. Some people even ask me about Minister of Ping Pong, Ahmad Fatfat. Many of us who live here in the US get asked about Ahmad Fatfat daily. Just now: this person stopped me in Irvine and asked me about Fatfat. And then this buffoon, who is really considered to be a "respected journalist" in Lebanon adds: "You will find in America many many among the elite American researchers as among the elite diplomats and thought leaders in the academic and research institutions, who bow down in respect vis-a-vis the Lebanese experiment, and the unique model of an open, pluralistic, democracy." In fact, I have seen people in my travel who bow down in respect vis-a-vis the genius of the Lebanese people in devising methods of brutal torture and savage killing during the long years of war. Well, people also bow down when they eat Tabbulah. I have seen that in some restaurents in Washington, DC. Do you see what people in Lebanon read in this "elite" newspaper? Our clown-in-residence at An-Nahr then adds: "Lebanon is a completely distinctive matter in the minds of the Americans people." Can you believe this guy? I will tell you this. I have lived in this country for 23 years: I am willing--not really--to offer free blenders to any American in a group of random 100 who know what Lebanon is--if Lebanon is anything that is. How about that? A blender. Our expert here also adds that the Israeli lobby is NOT the strongest foreign policy lobby in the US. The Mexican lobby, he tells you, is stronger than the Israeli lobby. This person probably will swear that the Micronesian lobby has armtwisted the Israeli lobby on many occasions. Mersheimer and Welt are now working on a special paper on the Tunisian lobby in the US.