Monday, December 19, 2005

When I see Lebanese member of parliament and former Jumblat's Minister, Akram Shuhayyib, running around as a spokesperson for the Lebanese "independence" movement, I think of 2 things. 1) I think of how loud he was in praising the Syrian government, and in prostrating himself before Syrian mukhabarat during their era of dominance. 2) I also think of the following story. Former member of parliament, Najah Wakim, head of the Sha`b Movement told it to me. In the 1980s, Wakim was visiting Syria, so Walid Jumblat who was also visiting Syria invited Wakim for a drink. Wakim goes there and sits with Jumblat. Shuhayyib was in the kitchen getting them drinks and snacks. And Jumblat would yell to him: "Get us some carrots." At the point, Wakim asked Jumblat to invite Shuhayyib to come and sit with them. Jumblat disapproved, and said that no, "he will stay there."