Tuesday, November 22, 2005

I was (re)reading Ibn Khaldun's Volume One of Kitab Al-`Ibar.....on the plane. Two passages in particular got my attention: "...the circumstances, habits, and factions of the world and nations do not stick to one pattern and stable course; but are differences over days and times, and transitions from status to status..." and "thus you see the conquered always emulating the conqueror in his clothing, vehicles, and weapons, in carrying them and their styles, and in the rest of his affairs..." (This reminds me that we now need a new translation of Al-Muqaddimah--and I don't like Ibn Khaldun for many reasons--racism, classism, prejudice, etc, but his analysis is insightful at times--. Yes, we have that classic one by Frank Rosenthal. I thought that it was adequate until I read the critique of the translation by `Abdul-Latif Tibawi (collected in his collection of book reviews).