Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Two Faces by Iraqi poet Baland Haydari (my translation):
"One morning, the poet and the Sultan were two faces inside me

I will hang your head on the gate
of the fortress
I will pluck your eyes out
I will cut off your hands
and no tear will be shed for you
and no candle will be lighted
And I shall distribute your meat
in the village
for the hungry of the village
for the wolves of the village
and we shall drink a toast
to the free people
and for the erasure of shame
the poet is perishable
And I am the Sultan
I revolve around
yellow yellow roots
like slander
I will erase the sadness
of Friday nights
I shall wash the village's bell
off any doubt
and all suppositions
and all filth
*
But
trust that I
Have felt as you have
felt shame
I have known
the human disgrace
in the eyes of the little ones
and the old
and I cried
like free people cry
in silence
I eulogized your death
in my death
But trust that I
will hang your head
on the fortress
and let the Sultan revolve
around roots of yellow yellow
like slander"