Tuesday, March 15, 2005

JohD from Australia sent me a link regarding an interview with Robert Fisk on Phillip Adams LateNight Live on Australia's ABC. This was regarding a claim he made in the comments' section regarding the friendship between Hariri and Fisk. It was interesting, and I am sharing it with you (he transcribed this section):
"PA: "You knew Hariri quite well, didn't you?" RF: Ya, I don't like, as a journalist, to say that someone was my friend, but we were friends when we met. Hariri would ever so often invite down for tea or coffee when he was Prime Minister; usually because he thought, quite correctly, that his minions would tell him what he wanted to hear. I intended to tell him the truth about the mideast & Lebanon, whether he liked it ot not. I have had diner with him quite a few times, and I have met members of his family. In fact, when I was quite badly hurt on the Afghanistan border in 2001; I was very badly beaten. After my own personal relations, the first person to ring me was hariri, who called me up personally in Quetta, Pakistan. "Robert, what happened?" I explained to him how my car had broken down. He said: "You must come back to Lebanon, do you want me to send my plane to pick you up?" I don't take gifts from Prime Ministers, but it was a very nice gesture. Of course I remembered it, and as the hours passed by, after I knew he was dead ..."