Saturday, December 04, 2004

From Ahmad Az-Za`tar by Palestinian poet Mahmud Darwish (my translation):
I am the Arab Ahmad--he said
I am the bullets the oranges
the memories
I found myself near myself
So I went away from the dew
and the maritime scene
Tal Az-Za`tar the tent
I am the country, when it came
And it reincarnated me
I am the constant travel
to the country
I found myself
enveloping myself...
Ahmad went to meet
with his hands and ribs
He was the step and the star
from the ocean to the Gulf,
from the Gulf, to the ocean
They were preparing the spears
Ahmad the Arab was ascending
to see Haifa
and jump.
Ahmad is now the hostage
The city left its streets
and came to him
to kill him
and from the Gulf to the ocean,
and from the ocean to the Gulf,
they were preparing the funeral
and the selection of the guillotine
I am the Arab Ahmad--
let the siege come
my body is the gate--
let the siege come
I am the boundaries of fire--
let the siege come
I besiege you
besiege you
My chest is the door
for all the people--
let the siege come
My song did not come
to draw Ahmad the blue
in the trench
Memories are behind my back,
and he is the day of the sun
and carnation
Oh, ye boy who is between
two windows
Do not exchange my letters
Resist
Resemblance is for the sand...
and you are for the blue...