Sunday, January 25, 2004

You know racism when you see it. I do not like Mel Gibson, and strongly believe that he is a fanatical, right-wing, anti-Semitic, Christian fundamentalist kook. I base that on his views that were expressed in an article in the New Yorker (which I had posted). He even believes that the Second Vatican was a mistake, that the Pope is a liberal, etc. But I was angry (I know, I am supposed to be always angry) when I read in the New York Times on Friday that Rabbi Marvin Hier, dean of the Simon Wiesenthal Center in Los Angeles, was angry after he saw the new Mel Gibson's movie about the life of Jesus because Jews in the movie were portrayed as villainous, "with dark beards and eyes like Rasputin". I hate to shock Rabbi Hier but Jews of the Middle East are, surprise surprise, Middle Easterners, who look like Middle Easterners, NOT Europeans with blue eyes and blonde beards. This is incredible. And this dude heads a center that supposedly fights prejudice and bigotry. He can advance the fight against bigotry and racism by resigning, and retiring for good. I even would buy him a retirement watch.