Wednesday, January 14, 2004

As those who know me know, I am against suicide, at the personal or collective levels. I am a total opponent of suicide. For that reason (and other reasons) I oppose suicide bombings. I also believe that the struggle for liberation should be based on embrace of life, and not embrace of death. Furthermore, as somebody who does not believe in the afterlife, I believe that people may be under a false impression if they expect rewards later after death. And suicide bombings by Palestinians also send a message that Palestinian young lives are expendable. That message has been sent by Israel, and should be rejected by Palestinians. For those reasons, and because they target civilians (deliberately or recklessly--it does not matter), I oppose them. But I believe that those who engage in those acts are victims themselves, and the responsibility for those acts should be blamed on successive Israeli governments who have driven Palestinians to those acts. I also detest those clerics who cherish their own lives but so casually send young Palestinians on suicide missions. I say this because a mother of two has turned herself into a human bomb. Not receiving the lavish US military aid that Israel gets, some Palestinians feel that their bodies are weapons of last resort. And I find those terrorism experts (many of them Israeli) who assert that Palestinian are engaging in those attacks because they want to have sex with virgins to be foolish. What will they say about this woman? That she was a lesbian? I wrote a piece for Salon.com about Sex and the Suicide Bomber but do not have the link. You find it.