Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Finally: the poem "All what you have done to our people is registered in notebooks" is NOT by Mahmud Darwish

The mystery has been solved. Regarding this poem:

"Our Country is a Graveyard"

Our Country is a Graveyard (my translation):
"Gentlemen, you have transformed
our country into a graveyard
You have planted bullets in our heads,
and organized massacres
Gentlemen, nothing passes like that
without account
All that you have done
to our people is
registered in notebooks".  I have mentioned that I could not find it in any of the poems of Mahmud Darwish.  I received this message from Salih:  "As you have asked for help here:

Here you are:
The poet you are referring is Tawfiq Zayyad and not Mahmoud Darwish, as you mentioned here
According to this:

And precisely here, page 234

The poem is called (??) "al-Qadaya al-moushinah"
القضايا المشينة
From
Book (Diwan?)
سجناء الحرية


But I couldn't verify myself."  Case closed.